Many AVG and Avast antivirus users reported that on scanning the computer the antivirus detected a file named filerepmalware.
If your antivirus have also detected the same “file rep malware” file and you are confused whether it is a normal file or a malicious software then you don’t need to worry.
In the below article, we have given a detailed guide on what is File rep malware and whether you should remove it from you computer or not.
- 1 What is Filerepmalware?
- 2 Is filerepmalware file a threat to your computer
- 3 How to avoid installing the Filerepmalware file:
- 4 How to remove FileRepMalware from the system:
- 5 Conclusion:
What is Filerepmalware?
Filerep malware is simply a tag that the antiviruses assign to the files that they think of is a potential threat to the computer and have low reputation scores.
(Low computation scores is assigned to the files that haven’t been downloaded much, are not added to the Antivirus cleanset, are not signed by any publisher, and the file not downloaded or launched enough)
The main victim of this File rep malware is the KMSPico that is used to activate Windows for free. So, if you have used KMSPico to activate Windows have a quick scan of your computer files to check for this file
The File rep malware is also referred to as Win32:Evo-gen.
The term Win32 refers that the file is a part of the Windows system file and at the same time Evo-gen refers to as a set of Trojan files. Due to this the antiviruses get confused and assign File rep malware tag to the file thinking of it as an PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program).
Is filerepmalware file a threat to your computer
The antiviruses assign the file rep malware tag to a file base on its computation score or you can say trust signature. Hence, sometimes third-party applications flag few files as threat which are not malwares or viruses or Ad-aware. Which means the threat they display can be a false positive.
However, you must not ignore the threat either because it can be a real threat also and would damage your computer and data if not dealt on time.
To make check whether the threat shown by the antivirus is real or not you must scan your computer once again using any different and trusted antiviruses.
Also, another thing that you can do is, use the virustotal online tool to check whether a particular file is a threat or not. All you have to do is to go to the website >>upload the file on it >>once the file is uploaded it will automatically start analyzing the file.
How to avoid installing the Filerepmalware file:
To prevent the system from attack by the malicious files and software you must be very careful while surfing the internet. The cyber criminals do intensive study and research to create website designs that look real and genuine to the internet users.
The websites or the add may look so genuine and realistic but in real they are just click baits. Once you click, it will redirect you to different website like pornographic, gambling, etc.
Also, do not download and type of software or files from the internet if you are not sure whether the website is genuine or not because these files can contain viruses which could harm your computer.
How to remove FileRepMalware from the system:
After you scan the filerepmalware tagged file using the online tool Virustotal and confirm that it is a malicious file, you may go on to remove the file from your system. Below are the few solutions that will hep you remove it from your system completely.
#1 Remove the filerepmalware from your Windows system:
If you are a tech guy and have knowledge about the system files you can remove the filerepmalware manually from the Windows system folder. Here is the path “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run folder in Windows Registry” to check the Windows system files.
Also, follow the below steps to remove the filerepmalware associated software from your Windows 10 computer.
- Go to search and type control panel and double-click on it to open.
- Next, click on uninstall a program under the Programs option.
- Search the software associated with the filerepmalware
- After you find it, right-click on the software and click on uninstall.
- Wait for the uninstall to complete and then restart your computer.
#2 Remove the rogue extensions or add-ons from the browsers
The extensions installed on your browser can also problem because some extensions contain viruses. So, it is better to remove the unwanted extensions to avoid infiltration from malicious software. If you have installed any unwanted extensions then follow the below steps to remove it from your browser.
Steps to remove extension from Chrome browser:
- Open Chrome browser and click on the three dots beside the address bar. In that click on settings
- In settings click on the Extensions option on the left navigation pane. It will take you to the extensions window
- Here you will find all the extensions installed on your Chrome browser. Delete the extensions which you feel are unwanted or can contain viruses
- Exit the browser and reopen it.
Steps to remove extension from Microsoft edge browser:
- Open the Microsoft edge browser and click on the three dots and then click on the extensions option.
- It will take you to the extensions page where you can find all the extensions.
- Delete the rogue extensions by clicking on the remove button below them.
- Lastly, restart the browser to apply the changes.
Also read: How to fix no audio issue in Realtek
#3 Clear your browsers temporary files
If you are facing more unwanted ads on your browser then you can try clearing your browser’s temporary files. Follow the below steps to clear the temporary files from different browsers
Steps to remove temporary files from Chrome:
- Open the chrome browser and go to settings
- Next, click on privacy and security option from the left navigation pane
- Scroll down and click on see all cookies and site data.
- Now, click on the remove all button to remove all the temporarily stored cookie and cache files.
Steps to remove temporary files from Microsoft edge:
- Open edge and go to settings
- Click on the Cookies and site permissions option and in that click on Manage and delete cookies and site data
- Next, click on See all cookies and site data and click on the remove all button to remove them
#4 Reset browser settings:
There are chances that you enabled or disabled any option on your browser due to which your browser is not able to block and restrict he harmful files from downloading on your computer. So, another thin that you an try is resetting your browsers settings to default.
In this way all the settings will get restored to the default eliminating all the changes made in the settings.
To reset your chrome browsers go to settings >> click on Advanced drop-down menu and click on reset and clean up option >>then click on reset settings to their original defaults >> lastly, click on reset settings button to confirm the reset.
To reset your Microsoft edge browser go to settings >>click on reset settings option >> in that click on reset settings to their original defaults and confirm it by clicking on the reset button.
Thus, in the above article we have successfully discussed about filerepmalware and how to fix it on your Windows computer. Also, it is suggested to use a good antivirus to keep your system safe from these type of malwares and ad-awares