Photoshop is one of the most famous graphic editing applications that are available on the internet. The use of Photoshop extends from the Photography field to the Engineering field. So it becomes important for everyone to have basic knowledge of Photoshop.
Some of the tools and features of Photoshop are straightforward and easy to use while some features are not so easy to use if you are a beginner like deselecting a selected object.
So in this article, we will see how we can deselect in Photoshop. Also, we will see how to deselect objects in Marquee Tool, Lasso Tool, Magic Wand Tool, etc.
- 1 Introduction to Photoshop:
- 2 What are the different Selection tools in Photoshop:
- 3 How to Deselect image in Photoshop:
- 4 How to deselect text in Photoshop:
- 5 How to hide a selection without deselecting in Photoshop:
- 6 How to take a chunk out of a selection in Photoshop:
- 7 How to select and deselect a layer in Photoshop:
- 8 Conclusion:
Introduction to Photoshop:
The Photoshop tool is a raster graphics editing tool that is developed and published by Adobe Inc. It is available for Windows and macOS. It was originally created by John Knoll in 1988 and was officially released on 19 February 1990.
Photoshop provides many cool tools and features to edit images. A few of the features are the Pen tool, Selection tool, Clone Stamp tools, Shape tool. etc. The software has gained a lot of popularity since its launch because of its cool features.
The Photoshop software is used by professional photographers, designers, creative artists, web developers, etc. The photoshop software is a paid graphic editing tool. However, it provides a free trial when you install it.
What are the different Selection tools in Photoshop:
Photoshop has different tools to select and isolate the desired objects. All of the tools have different selection methods. The most used selection tool is the Pen tool as it provides accurate results to the users. Also, there is a different method to deselect objects in each tool. All the selection tools require a different approach to delete the selection. So, let us see each tool in detail to understand it better and then jump on to the methods to clear a selection in photoshop
1. Marquee Tools:
The Marquee Tool is used to select objects in a particular shape. There are four types of Marquee tools in photoshop:
- Rectangular Marquee Tool
- Elliptical Marquee Tool
- Single Row Marquee Tool
- Single Column Marquee Tool
The rectangular Marquee Tool is used to select rectangular areas on the image. Similarly, the Elliptical Marquee Tool is used to select an elliptical region on the image and so on.
2. Lasso Tools:
The Lasso Tool is used for drawing freeform segments of a selection border. You can crop the objects using the Lasso Tool. There are three types of Lasso Tool in photoshop:
- Lasso Tool
- Polygonal Lasso Tool
- Magnetic Lasso Tool
3. Other Selection Tools:
The other selection tools that are available in Photoshop are
- Pen Tool
- Magic Wand Tool
- Quick Selection Tool
Out of all the tools, the most used selection tool is the Pen tool. It is used by professionals for editing photos as it provides 100% accuracy.
How to Deselect image in Photoshop:
Now, let us see how to remove the selection of an image in photoshop. But before that make sure you have done one obvious thing i.e. selected the image using the photoshop selection tools.
There are two methods to deselect all at once in photoshop. The first one is the regular method and the second one is the shortcut method. These methods will help you deselect the objects selected using the quick selection tool, marquee tool, pen tool, etc. So, let us see both methods in detail without wasting much of our time.
This is the most basic method to remove a selection in photoshop. If you are a beginner you must first try this method before going to the shortcut method, the reason for it is that you might be thinking of making your career in UX designing or editing and you will have to appear for an interview. And there are chances that the interviewer may ask you the steps involved in removing a selection in Photoshop.
Before deselecting the selection make sure to save the selection. To do go to >>Select and then >>Save Selection. After that follow the below-mentioned steps to unselect
- After you select the image go to the menu on the top and click on the Select option.
- In the select option, click on deselect option to Deselect the selected image.
Method 2: Deselect using the Shortcut:
Another method to deselect is through a keyboard shortcut. There is a keyboard shortcut method to deselect objects in Photoshop. If you do not like the above method then you can use this method. So let us see what is the Photoshop deselect shortcut:
- Press the CTRL + D keys on your keyboard to deselect the image using the shortcut. If you are a mac user press CMD + D.
- This is the default keyboard shortcut provided by photoshop. However, you can change the keyboard by click on the >>Edit menu on the top and in that >>Keyboard Shortcuts. Or by clicking the key combination Alt + Shift + Ctrl + K.
Also read: Importenterpriseroots Firefox policy
How to deselect text in Photoshop:
Here is a method that you can try to deselect the selected text in Photoshop:
- Press the key combination Ctrl + D on your keyboard. This is the shortcut method to deselect anything in Photoshop
- Another method to deselect text is to tap somewhere else other than the text. It will automatically get deselected from that text. Make sure you save the selected text before deselecting it.
How to hide a selection without deselecting in Photoshop:
You can even hide a selection without deselecting it. If you are going to use the selection in the future then rather and deselecting and then reselecting again hide the selection and use it when you need it in the future. Follow the below-mentioned steps for hiding a Selection:
- Press the View menu on the top ribbon and click on the Extras option.
- Or you can just press the Ctrl + H keys simultaneously to do it.
How to take a chunk out of a selection in Photoshop:
Let us see how we can subtract from a current selection using the different Photoshop selection tools:
For the regular Lasso tool, Rectangular, and Elliptical Marquee tools >>Hold down the Alt (Option on the Mac) key and drag around the pixels you want to subtract.
For the Magic Wand and the Quick Selection tools, Polygonal Lasso tool, Single Row Marquee Tool>>Hold down the Alt (Option on the Mac) key and click the area you want to remove.
How to select and deselect a layer in Photoshop:
To select and deselect a layer in Photoshop here are the following steps:
- To select a layer just click on the layer. To select multiple layers press the control(windows) command(mac) and tap on the layers to select.
- To deselect the selected layers just click on the layers panel below the bottom layer and choose Select > Deselect layers
Thus in the above article, we have successfully discussed the methods to deselect in photoshop. Also, we saw how to deselect text in photoshop and how to hide a selection without deselecting it.