Overwatch is a first-person shooter game developed by Blizzard Entertainment. If you love to play shooting games then you might have come across Overwatch. It has more than 6 million monthly active users. The reason for its popularity is its smooth gaming experience. But recently a lot of Overwatch users have been facing the frame stuttering issue while playing.
I know how annoying it is when there is lagging and stuttering while playing the game. So in this article, we will see how we can fix the frame stuttering issue in Overwatch. We will also see how to fix the Overwatch audio stuttering. If you face this annoying issue while playing the game then this article will help you fix it. So, stay tuned!!!
- 1 What is a stuttering problem in Overwatch:
- 2 Why FPS drops and stutters on Overwatch:
- 3 How to boost Overwatch FPS:
- 4 Conclusion:
What is a stuttering problem in Overwatch:
Overwatch is a multiplayer shooting game and is also known as a hero shooter. The stuttering problem in Overwatch is due to the low fps. Low fps can make the game behave very slow. It may seem like watching a slideshow(if the fps are very low).
Low fps make the gaming experience very bad. Most users started to face stuttering issues after updating their graphics drivers. But no need to worry because this issue has a solution.
Why FPS drops and stutters on Overwatch:
There are many factors responsible for the stuttering issue. Some of the reasons for the fps drops are:
A lot of users started facing the error after they updating their graphics driver. It can be the main culprit for the stuttering issue. To fix it you must downgrade it to the previous version
Sometimes the processes running in the background interfere with the game causing the fps drop issue.
The game mode in Windows is meant to improve the gaming experience on the system but sometimes it just does the opposite. So, it can also be the culprit behind the problem
Also Read: How to capture moments on Twitch stream
How to boost Overwatch FPS:
Here are few solutions that you can try to boost the FPS which will eventually fix the stuttering issue in Overwatch. But before you start with the solutions you must check if the internet connection that you are using to play the game is stable(try playing Overwatch on any other network and check the fps). Because sometimes an unstable internet connection turns out to be the main culprit. However, if you have a fast and stable internet connection then you can go for the other solutions mentioned below.
- End background process
- Update/downgrade graphics drivers
- Disable Game mode
- Disable Game DVR
- Turn off full-screen optimization
Let us understand how to implement each solution in detail
End background process:
Sometimes, the processes running in the background eat up all the CPU and there is very little CPU available for playing the game. Also, a few background processes interfere with Steam(if you are playing Overwatch on steam). So, to reduce the lagging and boost the fps we must end the non-essential processes running in the background. Follow the below steps to do it:
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc key altogether to open the Task Manager
- Then go to the Processes tab
- Here you will find the list of all the processes running on the system’
- Locate the processes which are unnecessary and tap on them
- Lastly, click on the End task button to stop it from running in the background
Update/downgrade graphics drivers:
Many users reported on the forums that they started facing the frame stuttering issue on Overwatch after they updated their Nvidia Graphics drivers. So, if you also started facing the issue after updating your graphics drivers then you must downgrade it to the previous version. However, if that is not the case then you must keep the graphic and video drivers updated to the latest version. Some users also face audio stuttering, in that case, they must update audio drivers too.
- Press Windows + R and open the run prompt.
- In that type “devmgmt.msc” and hit enter to open the device manager.
- In the device manager window double click on the Display adapters option. It will list all the components.
- Right-click on each component and click on update driver to update it.
- To downgrade the driver double-click on the component. It will open a new window
- Go to the Drivers tab and click on the Rollback driver button to downgrade.
- Repeat the steps for all the components from the list.
Disable Game mode:
Disabling the Game mode in Windows 10 can also help you fix the Overwatch high fps stuttering issue. Here are the steps to disable it
- Go to search and type settings and hit enter to open it
- In that click on the Gaming option
- In the Gaming, section click on the game mode option on the left navigation bar
- Lastly, click on the toggle button to disable the Game mode
- Now, open Overwatch and start playing and check if the fps issue persists.
Disable Game DVR:
Game DVR in Windows automatically records the video of your gameplay in the background allowing you to save the last five minutes of the gameplay when something cool happens. Some users enable it while playing the game. It usually does not affect the gameplay but might be one of the causes of the Overwatch frame shuttering problem. So, to improve the FPS you must disable it, and here are the steps to do it:
- Press Windows + I on your keyboard to open the settings window
- Next, click on the Gaming option
- Inside Gaming, click on the Captures or Gave DVR option on the left Navigation bar
- Then disable the Record in the background while I’m playing a game option.
- Lastly, play Overwatch again and check if the error problem has been resolved.
Turn off full-screen optimization:
Turning off the full-screen optimization also helped many users to fix the shuttering error on Overwatch. If the above methods do not help you fix the error then you can try this method. Follow the below steps to do it
- Go to your desktop screen and right-click on the Overwatch shortcut and select properties.
- In the Overwatch, properties window go to the Compatibility tab
- Check the option Disable fullscreen optimizations option
- Lastly, click on Apply to save the changes and then click on OK.
Most users play games like Overwatch on low-configuration PCs and because of which they face frame stutter and lagging issues. So, check whether your PC can handle Overwatch. If not then you must either stop playing on it or you must upgrade your computer otherwise you might constantly face the low fps issue.
So in this article, we have discussed the Overwatch Stuttering problem. We discussed the causes and the possible methods to fix this problem. If you have any queries regarding the solutions you can reach out in the comment box